Sunday, November 19, 2017

Seeds, seedlings, and gemmae

This post is not going to be that pretty. Sorry! I'll try to make next post better ;).

Like I mentioned in my first post, I love propagating. Most of my collection right now is either seeds, seedlings, or plantlets. So let's take a look!

This is a seedling of D. arenicola. It's the first one out of three seedlings so far to send out a carnivorous leaf. I tried water germination with these seeds, and I think many of them rotted when I transferred them to media. Oh well, I have more seeds so if this doesn't work I can try again I suppose. I'm really looking forward for this guy to grow up (hopefully), because the adults look absolutely spectacular.




This is the only D. capensis 'Albino' seed that sprouted from a pretty heavy sowing around three months ago. The seed was quite old though, so I guess I'm lucky I got anything at all. It's shaping up to be a pretty cute plant, though.



I had a few more D. capensis "Red" seeds sprout, but the seedlings for some reason weren't as vigorous as the single 'Albino' seedling. You can definitely see the difference in color though, although it's definitely not as pronounced as it will be when they grow up.



These D. finlaysoniana seedlings are a bit older than the capensis seedlings up above, and they're the second generation––the seeds were ones I got from my own plants. I added extra sand to they're media, to the point that the soil is more like peaty sand than sandy peat. They seem to like it though.



I also tried water germination with D. burmannii (Humpty Doo, Australia), but it didn't really work out so well either. This sprout is the only one that survived. I sowed some more seed on top of the media, so hopefully that will germinate too. If it doesn't, I'll at least be able to carry on the colony with this one plant. Stay alive, little guy!



The only species that did okay on water germination was D. riparia. I have at least 4 sprouts right now, and they all have multiple carnivorous leaves on them. I just started acclimating them out of their humidity tents, so hopefully I can feed them soon and really speed up their growth.




I also sowed some D. madagascariensis seeds a couple of days ago. Nothing to see yet, but I just wanted to document it. I really hope some of these seeds germinate, because I've been looking for D. madagascariensis for a while.



Although gemmae do seem to be a lot like seeds, they're actually quite different, Nonetheless, most people treat them a lot like seeds, so I decided to include them in this post. These are D. nitudula gemmae.



And, to reward viewers on coming to the end of this post, Here's a D. nitudula x pulchella flower!
I seriously have way to many of these. Maybe that will be a subject for an upcoming post.

No comments:

Post a Comment